Thursday, May 15, 2008

Shankin it, 101.

I know you guys have been wondering where I've been. You can admit it.

This week I pretty much went off the rails. If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know this happens every once in a while. It usually takes me a few days to get my head back in the game and find the fun in things again. I normally have to hunker down and ride it out.

I would have thought today was the day I'd snap out of it. And... this morning looked promising. It really did.

So I thought I'd whip out and take some IR shots for your enjoyment.



My IR skilz still are pretty lame. I'm getting better.. but it is anything but effortless for me.

Anyway... the lake was beautiful, and sparkly in the sun. And - all of you should know by now I'm totally distracted by shiny things. So I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking and twisted my ankle on some un-even pavement. Which made me completely biff it.

The first thing I did was check my gear. Hey.. I have priorities! After thanking the god I don't believe in that none of my lenses were broken, I make a quick look at my throbbing knee. I make a mental note that it is going to suck later. I just went out to take a few quick photos anyway. So I take a few shots.

Now if there is one thing I totally hate about my camera is that when I'm taking IR shots I can't turn off the 30 second countdown to take a shot. If I remember correctly, it is some "feature" so you don't burn out the LCD. But, it just pisses me off. So, every single IR shot takes 30 seconds. Since IR photography isn't very well documented anywhere, and I have a really short attention span I can't figure out if this is something you can disable. But I really.. really.. want to.

Anyway..with my countdown problem.. I had a lot of time to become distracted, and became not really into taking photos. It was like 100 degrees. Oh no. I'm not exaggerating. We are having a heatwave. The bugs were f-ing biting me. And there was this dry 100 degree heat wind that was really exceptional. I have to give it props for its ability to take all the moisture from your skin.

Plus I start wondering how much I'm going to start bleeding. I begin trying to figure out if I'm going to have to handle that somehow. I'm pretty inventive after 5 months of contractor bandages (masking tape and anything you can find that is absorbent). You know... so I don't bleed all over my car. Sometimes you can have a tiny little cut and it will look like you got run over by a train and exploded. Big giant cut... not so much. Which was the case this time.

At least it isn't as bad as the time I got road tar in my hip. But.. it isn't going to look pretty for a while. Skin is pretty over-rated anyway.

I should have known it was too early to go out into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment