Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Maximum complacency.

Today - I had a guy pitch a dating app to me. I've known him for a really long time. He was the first person I knew who got taken out by the housing market. Way, way earlier in the recession. Making apps is not his profession. Technology is not his profession. He told me he was an investor. Investing is not his profession either.

His reasoning was that anyone will waste a buck on an app. He seemed unfazed when I told him a lot of people who make apps don't make any money. Yet he's willing to commit money to a dime a dozen dating app.

I had flashback from 2006 when people were buying stocks on tips that had been faxed to them by pump and dumpers. Oh those were the heady days before the crash.

We parted ways with me saying - be careful in this market right now. He seriously asked me why.

This should scare the shit out of you. I mean, don't get me wrong, it feels great in California right now! As long as you don't own anything, the world is your oyster.

I suspect we are feeling a little better due to the obvious influx of people moving here (or back) from other states. I haven't tried very hard to find actual numbers. But I've been seeing plates from really unusual places for a couple of months now. Even from Canada and Mexico. Also notable are States that are very self sustaining like Montana. We hardly ever get those plates. Their skill set is geared more towards ranching.

In many ways technology is no different than the gold rush days. As long as I've been alive people have moved here to find prosperity. They come from everywhere. And I like it that way. This has always made me watch licence plates though. The most exotic we usually get is Hawaii. Out of country is very unusual. I have only seen the one from Mexico, but a lot from Canada.












No comments:

Post a Comment