Thursday, February 18, 2010

What is this? The 1980's?

I got a letter from Citibank yesterday. They were writing to inform me that they were no longer waiving "my monthly service fee" and per check fees. Which made me say "ummmm oooookay".

I didn't actually know the bank still had fees for those things. I haven't even thought about those types of fees in a decade. At least.

I know they are raising fees for all sorts of things. But check fees? Ridiculous. That is such a blast from the past. Who even writes checks anymore anyway? I only write them for property taxes in-case the IRS audits me. And, for contractors. But, since President Money Bags thinks that I don't deserve any money - I'm not hiring any.

I just find the whole thing ridiculous. The change isn't going to affect me anyway. But, I imagine it will affect a lot of people. Probably people who can afford it the least.

3 comments:

  1. Time to find a new bank. The interest rates that they pay you are too low anyways. My advice is to either move it all into a brokerage account with debit and check writing privileges or move it to a high interest rate bank with low overhead like Bofi.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Davis: find another bank! I'd go with a credit union since they're member-owned (Clark Howard recommends them over banks, especially over the "big three"); but the C.U.s in California don't seem to be able to get more than a 2-star rating on bankrate.com. I'm with another "monster mega bank" that got a government bailout and plan on switching to a smaller, local bank here in the Central Valley that's been around for almost 100 years and has a 4-star rating. (Then again, so does my current bank now -- but only because it got the bailout money!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironically, I do have a credit union account. I got it to get a steep discount on my cell phone service. Who I won't name because I don't want them to figure out their ridiculous pricing schemes. I mean, I have a legit discount, but I'm not sure they understand what they are doing half the time, and I don't want them to take it away.

    Anyway. The only problem is, that it's a huge pain in the ass to get to. I literally have to drive to the other side of the bay.

    I do constantly think I will have to parachute out of my current bank though.

    ReplyDelete