Friday, October 12, 2018

Sometimes the internet can only take you so far.

Mr S. and I attended bread therapy last night. And like all therapy - this was a pay class in someones' house in San Jose. One other person came. Which was nice because Mr S. and the other person were at about the same speed.

You can tell how serious people are about bread making when they start talking about scales.

Now I've been calling bullshit on all of the gig economy stuff for a while. But, bread therapy was the nicest form of the gig economy.  Some guy just set up an Eventbright account and started teaching bread classes. And since we all have the internet and youtube, this allowed you to go at your own speed.

A lot of times you want to take a class on something but you are too advanced and don't want to take a bunch of classes to get to the more advanced stuff. You just want to become unstuck at the phase you are at. I honestly wish someone would do this for wood finishing.

Even the guy who taught the class spent some time in Italy and asked some of the bakers there if they could teach him just a few things. Most turned him down. But one place said he could intern for three years. THREE YEARS!

I honestly can't believe how much of a skill bread making is. But when you get a certain point down the rabbit hole, it really is a skill.

The guy teaching the class also kept bees, and had a bunch of hives. And I had questions about honey. So I got to get all of my honey questions out too. So..... it was pretty nice honestly.

4 comments:

  1. oooh, jealous of the chance to ask bee/honey questions! I buy local honey, but I've wanted to put in my own hive for ages. And I haven't been able to connect really with the local beekeepers, which is such a pain. Its mostly a scheduling issue, but its frustrating. The local bee-keepers club is....not helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then maybe I should let you know that it doesn't take all that many stings for a person to get into trouble. Like only 4 or 5. That guy said he carried an epi pen with him. Even bee keepers who are used to getting stung can be in hospital condition wit only 5 stings. I was pretty surprised by that.

    He also said that you should be a really calm person. they can smell your agitation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already have a screwy reaction to stings, so yah, its part of why I haven't actually pushed hard yet. If I do ever get a hive then yes, I plan to talk my doctor into an Epi pen 'script!

    Calm I can do actually. Thats not a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BOUGIE BOUGIE BOUGIE-BOO

    Right, now that's out of the way first. :-)

    Once I got stung by about two dozen wasps while I was removing half-rotten railroad ties from a retaining wall ...

    I'm still here obviously, but it was an interesting experience.

    I didn't have an Epi-Pen, but what I did have was a big bottle of Benadryl.

    So I started chewing Benadryl and slamming a wet and nasty tasting slurry of them down my throat, lots of Benadryl, like maybe six or eight of the regular dosage ones to start and perhaps a few more later that I don't remember ...

    The next thirty minutes were very, very weird, but I didn't have breathing problems and I didn't have to call the EMTs to Deal With It(tm).

    If you're ever totally screwed otherwise, it's probably worth a try.

    ReplyDelete