Thursday, October 24, 2013

Now for the good stuff.



At the risk of having half the economists on the planet freak out and start a frenzy of posts about how robots are going to take all of our jobs - I present to you a robotic Caterpillar. Which made the tard in me fall in love. It's like pimp my Caterpillar.

I mean, I've been watching robotics for a really long time now. I've seen all manor of crazy stuff. I just didn't realise we were at this phase.

Obviously the monitors don't come with it. They are just props to let you see what the robotic vision sees. Which in this case is Ladar. Not Lidar. You can read about it here. When you walk up to these things you have to tick off all the flavors of robotic vision. Is it Lidar, Ladar, point cloud, sonar, or heat map. There are probably more but these are the ones I can name off the top of my head.

Here is the presser for the Forge by Autonomous Solutions Inc. There is a video in the link, which really looks more like an ad. I have yet to find anything that shows the product working in real life.

Of course everyone is going to scream what a horrible idea this is - but robotic vision is starting to be not that bad. I'd like to see this thing in action of course.

Mr S. and I were trying to figure out real world applications. He came up with snow plow which I thought was brilliant. I would have never thought about that. I've never lived in snow.







No comments:

Post a Comment