Saturday, August 11, 2007

The depressing state of trying to buy lights.

I don't know why I'm shopping for lights today. I really need to be wrapping up details of my life so I can check out for a couple weeks if needed.

But there we were. At Lamps Plus. Probably our 20th attempt at finding exterior lights for the house. We started looking right before we got the house painted a couple months ago. Have I mentioned how much I hate shopping?

Okay.. so this is the thing. Why do exterior house lights still fall into two categories.

1. Nautical themed lights. You know.. those that look like they should be on a ship.

2. Or torch lights. Those who look like they should be in a Jack The Ripper movie or somewhere in Colonial America?



This is the year 2007. Right? I mean, on some houses these probably look great. But we just want a simple brushed metal design. Modern looking, with simple lines. Is that too much to ask?

Apparently so, because we've had to expend an enormous amount of effort on it. Plus, I'm sure we are the only homeowners on earth who actually wants such a thing.

We found some fabulous outside lights for the old house. That company doesn't make them anymore. So I'm guessing there must just not be that big enough market for them.

Yet, the stores are filled with these monstrosities made to look like something out of the old ages. People must love that design.

No comments:

Post a Comment