Saturday, March 08, 2014

The Mystery Spot.

You can not go a week without seeing a Mystery Spot bumper sticker anywhere around here. I know it's just an optical illusion. So I've never went. I even lived in Scotts Valley, and I never once went there.

Finally the past few years I told Mr S. I had to go to find out how they get all these people to put those bumper stickers on. Seriously! It's like some crazy cult. There are more Mystery Spot stickers on cars than Jesus Fish.

Mr S. and I started coming up with all these theories like - Maybe when you drive out they give you a swift swat to your bumper, and branded you become. Mr S. thought that when you took the tour maybe they snuck them on your car. At any rate - I had to find out. First I had to get breakfast at lunch in Los Gatos at Southern Restaurant. I never thought I'd say this, but they have crazy amazing sausage links. It's the first time I'd ever consider going back to a place just because of that. They also have grits which I love, love, love. Slathered in butter and syrup. Nom, nom,nom.





The parking in Los Gatos was particularly bad. Which is how we ran across this sign.



While we were eating we were taking guesses on what they might be doing here. Maybe they were at Villa Montalvo. Or the Hakone Japanese Gardens. Or maybe even the Mystery Spot. There just isn't that much around Los Gatos that seems interesting enough for TV. When I called to make reservations to get tickets for the Mystery Spot while we  at breakfast I asked the booth if they'd ever heard of the Race and if they were there. They said they weren't but they'd been there a couple of months ago. I didn't know how bad the traffic was going to be on highway 17, so we went over right after breakfast. Even though our tour didn't start until 4:45. We were way early.





We walked around the gift shop which sold insects. I almost tried them but i couldn't remember which insect Andrew Zimmern said tasted like nuts.





I thought this set of signs were funny.





We found the mother bumper sticker car.



These are people walking into the Mystery Spot cabin.



While they all look crooked, the people are in the same orientation to the trees.



This is what it looks like inside. I was surprised how much it messed with your inner ear. It really did make your head feel a little funny. And you had to work hard at walking.



Here is a guy just standing normally.



Again. Once you see people relative to the trees, you can see that it's just an optical illusion.

Now I have to watch this seasons of The Great Race to see what they were doing in Los Gatos. I haven't watched in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment