Monday, September 24, 2007

No queens in Iran.

I know.. I know! Everyone is talking about the Mahmoud Ahmadinejad speech. There isn't much left to debate.

Except this funny tidbit in regards to there being no homosexuals in Iran.

Um... didn't Iran give the band Queen an official seal of approval? Oh yeah.. it did. I blogged about it here. My link is horribly broken, so I've provided a new link to the BBC story from 2004.

Queen album brings rock to Iran

"Rock band Queen, fronted by gay icon Freddie Mercury, has become the first rock act to receive an official seal of approval in Iran. Western music is strictly censored in the Islamic republic, where homosexuality is considered a crime.

But an album of Queen's greatest hits was released in Iran on Monday.

Mercury, who died in 1991, was proud of his Iranian ancestry, and illegal bootleg albums and singles made Queen one of the most popular bands in Iran."

No comments:

Post a Comment