Thursday, May 06, 2010

It was a bloodbath.

Oh. You thought I was going to talk about the stock market. There will be plenty of time for that.



The thing about having velveteen lop bunnies - is that they don't have the normal protection most bunnies have. All of the really short breeds have problems with their feet, but the velveteen seems to have an especially big problem. Not only is her hair short, but it isn't as cush as say a Rex. So she doesn't have the padding on her feet.

Many years back, we found that just living on short carpet was too abrasive, and she got moved to towels in her cage. Oh yes. Towels. And it isn't like they don't chew them up occasionally - so don't buy a bunny. They are really expensive.

Anyway, from time to time (usually once a year) she manages to hit the pad on her foot getting out of her litter box and splits it open. The first couple of times I thought she was dying. Only to find out she'd hit her foot, and she was completely fine.

This morning I'd gotten up and Mr S. says to me - Binny hit her foot last night and really bled out. I've checked her and she's fine. Oh yes.. a grown man uses the word Binny. It's much more manly than Pink Paisley Princess. Which is what her name really is. I had to shorten it because even I was embarrassed to call her that.

So I go to investigate and check her out, only to freak out a little. She'd really had a big bleed. Mr S. and I do the once over, because I can't believe her foot made that much blood.

Just a couple of days ago we were joking that we needed to make some kind of booties for her. But, you know bunnies chew everything so we put it out of our minds.

I have to say. Market down 1000, bunnies bleeding out. My nerves are a little frayed.

You can see she is indeed alive and well. Just in case you were suspicious.

2 comments: