Tuesday, August 25, 2009

So much weirdness.

One thing is certain - you never know what you are going to get here at the snarkolepsy blog. To be honest, even I don't know, as most of this stuff is completely unplanned. You will have to excuse my crappy pictures. I didn't expect this to happen, and then I felt kinda creepy taking photos. I don't know why.



So anyway - I guess Jeff is a girl. And I guess I sort of mated her last night!?!



It was about the freakiest thing ever. I wasn't even completely sure of their sexes. Only what the Internet told me. And then because he was so much smaller than her(Jeff. No I'm not changing it's name) I thought he was food.

She took his head off and I thought that was the end of that. I knew they mated when that happened, but I thought they needed to be coupled at the time.

Um... turns out not. She eats his head, and his body finds a life of its own and actually sort of walks around on its own to find um.. the sweet spot? I don't know what to call it.

Ridiculously, since I didn't expect this insect to mate in complete captivity, I may now be stuck with an egg sack I have to coddle for a few months. I'm telling you, you can't make this crap up.

4 comments:

  1. Now sex and violence. You won't be able to complain about Keyser's photos anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, when my mantids start growing boobs - then we can talk. ;)

    Which actually would be quite interesting. If I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say, I've been enjoying your Jeff posts. I think it's hilarious that the mating took place on the infamous styrofoam cup. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahah. It's funny you noticed. Jeff is so in love with that cup. She'll walk round and round the outside like a racetrack. She's only left it twice in the many weeks.

    ReplyDelete