Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Only in California can you get excited about lightning.



Lightning is such a rare event here that when we are forecast to get some, I always say - if I had a dollar for every time time they said we would, I'd be a millionaire. And I'm not even exaggerating.

But last night we had quite a good lightning storm roll though. And to express how really rare this is - you could hear the whole neighborhood going ooooh and awwww. Seriously, everyone was outside because this is like the 4th of July for us. It was really pretty cute. There was no thunder, just cloud to cloud lightening.

Normally these kinds of things - if they do happen - are really brief events. Like 5 minutes and done. I don't even rush to get my low light camera anymore because by the time I get it, and set it up, the lightning is over and I miss it. Hell, I don't even charge the batteries because it's such a waste of time. But last night would have been the night to be pre set up though.

Last nights storm went on for so long that I finally relented and dug out my low light camera and took a few crappy shots. Mainly because I was fumbling around in the dark. Usually with night photography I like to do a little preplanning. Getting things in focus in the dark is not easy at all. This isn't like San Fransisco where you have a lot of ambient light. This is the suburbs where it is DARK. Plus lightning is a frustrating subject to try and photo. Even with long exposure.

It was one of the funnest storms we have had though. Usually we get a few bolts and it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment