Thursday, September 26, 2019

This unwind is going to be delicious.

WeWork's new CEOs want to sell off 3 of its businesses as the company looks to cut costs.

It's going to be super fun to see what's in this crap sandwich. Many people are saying this is going to make Theronos look tame. Already it seems like they are in a fire sale. They are selling off the private jet. They are selling off companies. One of which is Meetup.

I happen to know a little about Meetup. And it's a brilliant money scheme. In my opinion. I don't want to get sued. I have been to exactly one Meetup. I went to go see the famous VC Vinod Khosla who is rumored to be the grandfather of Silicon Valley. He also famously has been fighting the State of California over beach access on his property. I will link these as soon as I get a minute and find my post.

Anyway - this is how Meetup works in my estimation. Some person wants to socialize with a certain group of people. So, they create a Meetup group and pay a fee. I don't know exactly what it is, but I think it's around a 100 bucks. But I could absolutely be wrong. As I said I don't know the exact dollar amount. I thought it was around 120 bucks.

Very few of these groups gain any traction and eventually you start getting notices that the group is shutting down with an option for someone else to take over the group. Which I have never seen happen.

Rinse, lather, and repeat. So, as long as you keep getting new people to create groups - you are probably fine. But people like the idea of socializing with a particular group more than they actually do.

4 comments:

  1. Meetup: "When you finish creating a group, a member of our team reviews it based on our community guidelines and makes sure it gets promoted to the right people. You can expect a decision within 24 hours."

    I'd be tempted to push this as far as it'll go ...

    ... starting with a hog wrestling contest.

    Whoever wrestles the hog to the ground and keeps him there for thirty seconds wins the hog. Afterwards, there will be a presentation on hog wrestling techniques that includes the winner.

    Naturally, the hog we'd choose would be the most mean-spirited thing that we could find that isn't on drugs, because after all we're trying to be the kinds of responsible agricultists that everyone wants us to be.

    But I can hear some SJW type at Meetup already ...

    ANIMAL CRUELTY!
    ANIMAL CRUELTY!

    No, liberal pigfuckers, this is a contest for food.

    Are you Meetup people going to be against poor people?

    HERE I AM TRYING TO HELP FEED POOR PEOPLE IN ENTERTAINING WAYS

    Hog wrestling is a valuable life skill! You should try it!

    It's not like I'd try to host a chautauqua that involves a live debate between the Nation of Islam and the KKK so they can gain a mutual understanding of how they share many of the same beliefs!

    I AM NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR CIVIL DISCOURSE, MEETUP, I JUST WANT SOME FUN

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what Meetup needs is a better sense of humor. I think you are on to something. If you make it wild boar I'm totally into showing up for that. Not to participate, but to watch. Because frankly it wouldn't be hard to find dudes willing to kill themselves for our amusement. I'm over wondering why - but I ~will~ watch. Usually it turns out okay.

    Is that actually from Meetup or your take on Meetup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote at the top is actually from Meetup.

    The rest is me having a good time. :-)

    SQUEEEEEEEAL LIKE A PIG MEETUP EMPLOYEES
    SQUEEEEEEEAL

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. That's funny. I figured they had some sort of gate to bar people from creating fun groups. There are some odd ones like doll making - but for the most part I think companies spin these groups out for marketing purposes.

    ReplyDelete