Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chapter 2.

I never really thought of myself as a landlord. Or sure.. it was always in the backup plan. But, I never really wanted that role. I don't trust people very easily. That makes me a horrible landlord. So, when my roofer went through an exceedingly messy divorce and moved into our place - lets say, it started out rocky. It is a horrible idea to rent to pseudo friends. Let's not kid each other.

Plus, maybe I never told you that my roofer also has a problem with women. He hates his mother. Honestly. I've never quite figured out why. I only know he openly admits it. So, I've always had to skirt a line with him. Sure Mr. S could deal with him. Which is also awkward in some ways.

Since most of the time he and I are buddies, when doing business I have to get him to do things in a way that doesn't make him defensive. Sure, it's a quirky relationship. It's the only kind of relationships I can have, apparently. But - he is a trustworthy hard working guy. Well.. maybe I'm still working out the trustworthy part. Without a doubt he is one of the hardest working guys I know.

That doesn't mean he doesn't try to push things. We let him move in without giving paying us anything. Yeah.. I know! It is a bit of a boundary issue. After about a week I had to lay down the law. I think he might have also moved in a few of his buddies. The first month he was late paying rent. I was just on the verge of having to kick his ass. And, it does help that there are still very few vacancies in the rental market. Once I made it clear a house down the street from me rented in three days.. I think he "got it".

Every since that moment - every month things have gotten better. And...I think we are settling into a tolerable routine. The pseudo friendship part took a hit, but I think we are getting back on equal footing. If it stays like this.. maybe it won't be so bad being a landlord. Normally I would be more pessimistic - but, I have to give credit where credit is due.

All could change tomorrow. For now, it's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment