Saturday, November 24, 2007

I (heart) Slingbox.

I've been meaning to write a review of our new Slingbox.



Normally I like to wait much longer to give feedback, because the factory air clouds my judgment - and products I thought were fantastic turn out to be annoying. Or somehow break six months down the line.

This might still happen. But what was so impressive about this bit of technology was the super easy installation. You just plug it in, and it found all the wireless networks without any configuration.

If you've spent any time putting something on a network, you will marvel at just what a good job the Slingbox people did.

Say for example, you are staying in a technology black hole - like I was recently. You can't understand how comforting it is to be able to connect to your home cable system and watch News, Cranky Geeks or Red Eye.

The only small drawback is being able to find a good connection from your wireless provider. Mine is Verizon. So, if you are in an area that has sparse coverage... for example - in a Starbucks 500 feet from a Verizon store (like we were), the video stream may get a little choppy.

Maybe I'm being bitchy in thinking that if I can see a Verizon store, I should be able to get more than one tick of a reception bar on my phone or wireless network. Just say'in.

No comments:

Post a Comment