Saturday, October 08, 2011

Totally meaningless moments.

Sometimes when I get overwhelmed or stressed I shut down. It's like a million things are going on inside my head, I just can't get them out. Nothing seems interesting or worthwhile sharing. It actually takes quite a bit of effort to get started again. You can see this pattern repeat itself over and over the years on this blog. You just need a little patience to wait me out.

This is also why you get this non interesting story I'm going to tell you about the interactions I had with a couple of people getting my lawn in.

Yesterday morning the sod truck pulled up. I figured I would try to get as much in as I could and Mr S. would help me this weekend. Really, this wouldn't even be a story if it weren't for this little old lady.

I saw her across the street at the corner. Which is about three houses down on the other side of the street. And she was just staring at me. I'd put a roll down, and she would advance towards me smiling. Crossing the street in a diagonal fashion. Staring and smiling the whole time.

When she got close enough I said - it's so green, it doesn't look real. Right?

Her - You should have paid someone to do this for you.

Me - Girls can do things. Besides I'm half done.

Her - Oh! I can help you.

Me (placatingly)- I bet you could, because chicks rock.

For a couple of minutes we made small talk about me paying someone. Me convincing her it just wasn't a big deal. I mean the rolls at Lowe's any chick can do.

Then it became apparent she was actually serious. She started advancing towards the stack of rolls.

Her - I'll help you.

Me - No...no...no. You are going to ruin all your clothes.

The rolls were grown in this black dirt, and I'd already picked clothes I could just throw out. Black garden stuff just stains.

Her again - I can help you.

And she was totally serious. I actually had to get between her and the rolls of sod to stop her.

Finally she was getting to a point where she was borderline annoying. Totally sweet. But you just have to get in this zone - and she was interrupting my zone. I mean, it's hard work.

On one hand I was really impressed that she thought she could do it. She must have been pushing 70. I've never seen a young chick even attempt to lay sod. On the other, I couldn't understand why she was trying to help me. Part of me wanted to take her up on it. Not because I needed help - but because I'm curious that way. She would have probably sued me. I just wanted to she if she could.

I've learned to never completely underestimate people. She probably wouldn't have been able to. But there is always that 1% who will knock you on your ass with surprise. It's one of the most fantastic things about life.

The other story is about my sprinklers. I know. You are bored already. Do you want me to get back to posting or not?

I'd put in these spin-ey sprinklers. You can buy them everywhere. They aren't even anything special. I just got tired of watering the sky. We get lots of wind here sometimes, and they just make it so water falls to the ground.

Mr S. and I were testing them and this couple riding a bike completely flipped around and came back to investigate. The odd thing is how in awe they were about them. It was like my house was the Bellagio or something.

2 comments:

  1. Moments don't have to have meaning to be interesting. The randomness of life and people is what's fascinating.

    ReplyDelete