Friday, February 08, 2013

Alright. I have a freaky story.

Today I went with Mr S. to his eye doctors appointment. Which should have been a very non-eventful thing. He was just having a check up to see how his eyes are holding up after the Lasik he got a few years ago.

Honestly right now, I don't much care about talking with people to see how they are feeling about the world. Everyone is in happy land. And I think it's all a front and bullshit. Or just uninformed. So, this should have been double non eventful. I just like going to the appointments because we've known this guy for a long time and I talk to him about all the new eye technology. Like Augmented Reality contacts. It's eye geeky.

So, I was teasing the doctor about needing glasses. He looked really fatigued. It seemed like reasonable small talk. And then..... all of a sudden he had this mental breakdown right in front of us. Crying and the whole thing. I was hugging him. Mr S. of course if feeling a little jittery because I'm making his eye doctor cry, and he's shoving crap into his eyes.

In my mind I was trying to figure out how to get off the landmine I'd just activated. Because it was just so unexpected. Yet still be supportive. I mean, I feel bad for the guy. All of us feel like life didn't turn out the way we'd planned. It's really hard on people. And it sucks.

After we left Mr S. turned to me and said - I'm not letting you talk to my surgeon if I need to have surgery. I don't need that guy crying. Which made me laugh. I mean, people will talk to me about anything. I'm not judging. It was the most genuine moment I've had in a while with someone. And in some ways it made me feel better about life. Not about his misfortune, just - that feeling that everyone is doing fine and you are not. I don't think most people are doing fine. I think people are making the best of a bad situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment