Wednesday, July 07, 2021

How I got trapped in the Marvel Universe for about three days.

I didn't come here for family heirlooms. I came for the pictures. When you have a fire, it's like your history doesn't exist. For instance - I don't have one single photo of when I was a child. And while it was my Aunts and Uncles trailer that burned - I knew they had storages. I was hoping to find pictures there.

So... I drop into town and immediately everyone was talking about this rare commic book collection. My Uncle claimed to have number 1's of Avengers, and Ironman. Also a number 1 of a commic book called Blackhawk. In my head I think - I don't .... think ....so, but maybe I should check. Because I'd heard some of these stories growing up and never believed him. I mean.... if you had THOSE comics why are you living in the projects?

So I spent a day or so trying to find the storage. Once I got in, he had at least 100 long boxes. But in typical hoader fashion they were all rotting. His storage had a hole in the roof and water had been getting in for a LONG time. Mr. S and I managed to wrestle out ten long boxes and took them to the airbnb we are staying in. We tried to sort though a couple of boxes and realised - we don't have time for this. It will take forever. And mind you - even if I'd wanted to get into this storage unit earler in life, my Uncle never would have let me. He was VERY protective of it. Neadlessly in my opinion.

So we start tracking down comic book stores. We bring him 10 boxes, and I guess they were all in the Valient Universe. No one wants those. I go back to the storage and forget all the Valient stuff. I bring boxes that are only labled DC or Marvel. And I started getting less money. They are all pretty much from the 90's and not yet collectable. I think my Uncle has been paying on this storage for 20 years now. The comic book guy did manage to find some Ren And Stimpy comics which I didn't even know existed. They aren't worth anything. But I'm taking those home.

So yeah. I went on a wild goose chase for days over these commics. And there is a TINY amount of money in them. I got 650 bucks for 30 boxes. But finally the comic guy was like - yeah. Stop bringing us stuff. They were giving me like 21 bucks a box.

Eventually I figure out that this was more trouble than it was worth. But I had to check or I would have always wondered.

4 comments:

  1. chances there's a random box somewhere you haven't found yet? But yah, in my experience, alot of the time people think they've got something rare, cause its old, its not really worth much. But I agree that it was also worth checking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treasure hunting is like that.
    You realize that it sucks your time and you have to make a decision about what you want to do with your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Capital of Texas RefugeeTuesday, July 13, 2021 10:52:00 PM

    I'll see your crazy comic book collection and raise you ...

    ... a 150 square foot storage unit full of Beanie Babies stored in cheap clear plastic storage boxes.

    It's the ultimate example of someone embracing self-ruin via "buy high, sell low" or not even selling at all before the market bottom falls through multiple glass floors.

    By the time I was legally empowered to deal with the residual problems that included multiple storage units (and this one wasn't the only one), I did the only sane thing after doing a cursory check to see if anything with actual significant value was being stored.

    I hired movers to help me move everything in the storage unit to Goodwill.

    You are not doing the wrong thing by reducing the load.

    I'd have been totally OK with getting some furniture, maybe a few old computers, but no.

    Fuckload upon fuckload of Beanie Babies.

    That's so dark you'd think it's cosplaying the DC Universe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only way that beats me is if there was a hole in the storage letting rain water in. But - it did actually make me feel a lot better.

    ReplyDelete