Monday, July 08, 2019

What utter rubbish.



Snyder: The Latest Large Quakes Should Be Taken As A Warning By Everyone Still Living In California.

This article over on Zero Hedge has to be the clickbaityest thing ever right now. I will summarize for you.  When the next 'big one hits" we are all going to die or be swamped by water because the land will sink. But...... what if it doesn't sink? What if it goes up like a mountain?

I'm not going to say there won't be damage or deaths. But if there is anything I have learned about living in the quake zone - BUILDING CODES APPARENTLY WORK. Even down in Mexico these days you can have a magnitude 8 quake, and there is barely any damage. It's AMAZING! Really freaking amazing.

After the quake in Southern California all the people who lived through Loma Preitta got a little twitchy with PTSD. I was living in East Palo Alto at he time in a rent controlled building which I was sure had fallen. Even though I was working in MountainView (the next town over)  I couldn't get home for hours. If the big one hits - don't even bother trying to get on the freeway for a few hours. You won't get anywhere.

Building codes however are much better than the last quakes. But people who like to hype this crap never take the into account. Mag 8's aren't what they used to be.

Meanwhile my moon lamp is still cushioned with shammies. The glass moves independently, and I'm pretty shocked the small quakes it's been through hasn't chipped it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment