Wednesday, December 13, 2006

How companies make it hard to buy from them.

Today I will be blog-burning Calyx&Corolla. Which is a bummer because they send phenomenal flowers. This is not my issue. Oddly - customer service is not my issue either. They have really good customer service.

Okay - I don't know about you, but sending flowers should be almost as fun as getting flowers. It is flowers for f's sake.

So, when my mother-in-law's birthday and imminent retirement came up this week, I wanted to send a huge bouquet. My mother-in-law loves to show off how much her kids love her. After all - this would be last big bragging opportunity. She can always brag to her friends.... but not quite as fun as bragging to all of her co-workers.

So I hopped over to the Calyx&Corolla web-site. It took me a while to decide, because this is the off season. Not as much selection, but that is to be expected.

This is the arraignment. Not my favorite. But...I thought my mother-in-law would like them.



Looking at the vase on the picture I knew it wouldn't be able to fit the extra large bouquet with 20 stems listed with this display. So I set off to find a vase of similar hight but a wider size from their list here.

After I had made a choice I called the company. Let me tell you, I'm not the kind of person who loves to take up customer service time. I would have loved to just order from the web-site, but I wanted to make sure the flowers fit the vase. When I asked the rep to make sure the flowers will fit, this set off on a 30 minute process of elimination call. I would have canceled the order all-together if I hadn't always gotten reports of amazing flowers sent from them. I kept apologizing over and over for taking up so much of her time.

The service rep pointed out that the flowers themselves are 18-22 inches tall. Anything in the 9 inch tall range is really pushing it. I would have just preferred to get a plain glass vase like the one featured here.. but that also wasn't going to be big enough. So basically my choice are this and this. And let me tell you.. if you have to call it an urn, that should give you a hint that most people will not buy it unless being sent to a mortuary. Sadly.. I'm pretty sure I already sent her a big bouquet of sun-flowers in this same exact vase this spring.

I started buying from Calyx&Corolla because one time I sent my mother-in-law flowers, and like all mother-in-laws she wanted to brag - and wound up sending us a picture of the bouquet we sent. Lets just say the contracted FTD company made liberal substitutions. I was not happy. Calyx&Corolla has never done that to us. We have spent really a lot of money with them. Especially this year. I don't know why they offer extra large bouquets if they aren't going to provide a vase choice. Its almost like they don't really want you to spend more money. I'm not even asking for anything amazing. Just a simple glass vase like the one they list with the arrangement. Right now I'm thinking the arrangement and vase look like really wild wallpaper.

1 comment:

  1. That really sucks. I have only sent flowers/balloons to my Grandma once. We did it through a local grocery store and the service was good and everything went well.

    ReplyDelete