Thursday, February 18, 2016

I don't know why Apple is acting like it has a backbone.

Today the net was on fire about the whole Apple defying a judges order to unlock the San Bernadino killers iPhone. Which was funny because San Fransisco basically forced Apple to implementing a kill switch because so many phones were being stolen.

I love how all the articles I read talk about Apple having "standard" encryption until 2014. Which is when the kill switch law went into effect. But not one article talks about the kill switch switch becoming a law in 2014. The law was initially opt in Sept of 2013, but went standard in 2014.

The result? 

A.G. SCHNEIDERMAN, LONDON MAYOR JOHNSON AND D.A. GASCĂ“N WELCOME DRAMATIC, GLOBAL DROP IN SMARTPHONE THEFTS FOLLOWING INTRODUCTION OF KILL SWITCH
New Data Reveal Thefts Down 40% in London; 22 % in San Francisco; And 16% in New York City.

I thought there was a pretty slim chance they could get into that phone. But now I think that phone is bricked hard. The are just following the law.

San Fransisco badgered them for what seemed like almost two years, but now that they see how they thefts have come down I think that is a bigger motivator than privacy rights. I mean, Silicon really hasn't had a backbone in quite a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment