Saturday, June 08, 2013

It's fire season.



I'm pretty range bound today. When temperatures get over 100, I have to stay in a small radius of the house. In California, you never know when you will be without power, especially in the summer. My burb has experienced two power hits this week, and it wasn't even hot. When I was coming back from taking these pictures there were so many street lights out, I wasn't sure if I was even going to have power by the time I got back to the house. And the bunnies can't handle heat. They can not pant. At the very least you have to pack their cage with frozen water bottles.

So, this morning I wasn't in a hurry to get ready to go out and have breakfast. I was drinking coffee and out in the distance I saw some clouds billowing in. It's suppose to drop 20 degrees tomorrow. So it didn't seem that unusual. After a while it was making the trees look smokey. I walked outside to see if I smelled fire. Which I did. And all of a sudden a smoke cloud enveloped my house. I couldn't see the hills at all. I started watching the trees for fire, the smoke was so thick. When I checked the internet we found it was out on the edge of town near the gun range. I was pretty surprised at how small it was considering. It isn't that uncommon for me to see fires from my deck, but this was all the way on the edge of town. By the time I tracked it down CALfire had knocked it down to basically smoke. We have fire pretty often in the summer (here and here)so these guys are quick.









No comments:

Post a Comment