Thursday, October 01, 2020

I haven't posted much lately because everyone is acting crazy. I sort of feel like Trump is stifling speech on the virus and the economy in the same way that Obama stifled speech with race.

If you said anything bad about Obama you were a racist. Now you can't talk about the economy or the virus without being accused of being a Karen or against Trump.

I want to talk about how real estate is going wild, when obviously there are going to be a LOT layoffs. 

Home sellers’ asking prices jump 34% in California. "$735,000 median is up $187,000 this year"

Obviously that is completely normal - but no one cares. This feels like the some real 2007 shit right there, only a little worse because QE was fairly new. Now we are just dropping money from helicopters.

The whole thing is completely frustrating because people can't maintain their shit enough to agree on anything so we can all get back to life! I sort of feel like - if the government can just print unlimited amounts of money - why do we need to pay taxes?

People don't want to fix things, they just want to fight. Very reminiscent of the housing crisis BTW.

3 comments:

  1. Capital of Texas RefugeeFriday, October 02, 2020 1:36:00 PM

    "Now you can't talk about the economy or the virus without being accused of being a Karen or against Trump."

    Actually, that Halloween version of Karen should look like Margot Robbie in "Birds of Prey" ...

    Some crazy looking blonde bitch coming up to me and giving me a lot of shit before shooting me in the sack with whatever that grenade launcher thing of hers is?

    Very fucking terrifying. :-)

    "... if the government can just print unlimited amounts of money ..."

    Oh, but it's so much better if you have Swiss money, right?

    Let me disabuse you of that thought: the Swiss Constitution requirement to back the CHF with gold went away in 1999, and there is currently no requirement whatsoever for backing the currency with anything.

    And so BRRRRRRRRR goes the money printer here as well.

    This I didn't even know myself until a few weeks ago.

    So yeah, gold coins look even better right now.

    I'd even have some gold dinars, but there's a story about why there aren't any of those.

    HAHA ... even my collection of pissant little fractionals for occasional sales to friends are now valued at hilarious prices.

    Remember those 1945 Mexico 2 peso coins I mentioned?

    They're up for auction at that site above with the gold dinar story for 89 EUR, go check it out! :-)

    "Home sellers' asking prices jump 34% in California. '$735,000 median is up $187,000 this year'"

    They call this the Polish blanket trick: cut off some blanket from one end and sew it on to the other end so it's longer.

    All they're doing is pricing in the amount they're really willing to sell for by making it appear they are willing to accept 35% to 50% reductions.

    Meanwhile, home prices are fairly stable here, which is nice because I'm now looking for a place.

    Something better than a traditional Swiss musty heap with bad heating, of course, because I do have to remain respectable, even to myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh, but it's so much better if you have Swiss money, right?"

    Yeah. Governments or horrible everywhere. Thats the impression I got from all those guys that come here to sell their wares is - ours is actually less bad than theirs. There's a reason they all come here. I'm sure it's lovely there anyway.

    I heard something recently, and I don't know if it's true. The Swiss have the lowest home ownership because they tax you on the money you would make renting your house to yourself. Is that a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's a thing, it's called the "valeur locative", and it's a type of income tax.

    As long as you don't over-buy, you should be OK, especially if you buy a house that's consistent with what your semi-retired income stream would be.

    ReplyDelete