Monday, October 09, 2017

Since you asked...

You didn't get any posts this weekend because I'm feeling pretty rough and I had to do some super boring stuff for the deck to keep things moving. Like shop drains. And I think I'm pre-sick. I don't have all the symptoms yet to start complaining, but I just don't have any energy.

Anyway... back to the deck which is pretty much all you are going to hear about for a little while.

So - my options for fixing this deck are - waterproof membrane. That was suppose to be the A+ way to fix these things, but after seeing what they had on my deck including a membrane I was glad a chose another option. Allegedly, with a waterproof membrane I could have made a pool up there if the deck could have withheld the weight. That is how waterproof those membranes are suppose to be. They heat the seams to make an (allegedly) impenetrable product. Keeps water out, or in - if that's your thing.

The second best way to fix it is a product called Pli-deck. Which is concrete resin infused with fiberglass. Here and here. There are tons of youtube videos if you want to get your geek on. The pli-deck is the less expensive option, but I didn't chose it for that reason.

With the membrane you will see seams every three feet, and then there will be an overlap seam where they melt it together. After having those tiles up there I'm really looking for a very minimal look and those seams would have made me crazy. Now, you can put tile right over the membrane, but I'm obviously trying for a look with less lines.

I also thought the ply-deck system seemed more appropriate because (assumably) the fiberglass will help against cracking.

I will upload some pics for you, but I just don't feel like it right now.

2 comments:

  1. Capital of Texas RefugeeMonday, October 09, 2017 10:58:00 PM

    You're going to salvage the deck?

    I had this feeling you were going to remove the deck entirely so you could build a bigger and better deck -- I actually pictured some sort of U-shaped monster deck would come out of this rebuild. :-)

    Fiberglass resin works great when it works -- I used it along with Dry-Lok when I had a cellar I wanted to turn into a s̶m̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶u̶s̶t̶r̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶e̶m̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶a̶ work area ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this deck was not an add-on. This is actually the original design.

    ReplyDelete