Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Last night a Bloomberg reporter took down Electronic Arts in the most unintentionally brutally honest way.

I'm going to paraphrase because I don't want to deal with youtube's TOS right now.

The segment was sort of mocking EA because they have come out to say they don't think VR will be adopted as quickly as everyone thinks. (Which I agree with BTW. People in love with this technology fail to understand how long it really takes to get a product like this into the mainstream.)

She ended the segment in a somewhat snarky way by saying - Electronic Arts. The maker of football games.

Mr S. kind of let out a wooow and scrunched up like he'd been hit in the balls. I was just kind of stunned for a second. Mr S. actually did a stint at EA for a while.

Me - Was she being sarcastic?

Him - I don't think so.

Me - That's what I thought because I don't think she's ever played a video game in her life.

At this point we both bust up laughing because this woman encapsulated what was wrong with EA with childlike preciseness. If the impression you give people is that you only make football games - you've got some serious problems.

Personally, I think game makers have abandoned casual users. You know - the people with jobs! Some people just want to come home after a long days work. Have a beer or smoke a joint and not have to deal with on-line play. I know there is a lot of money to be made in on-line, but it would be really nice to not have to be forced into it almost exclusively. After fighting the corporate world, you just want to relax and unwind. Not have to compete with 15 year olds who have nothing better to do.

2 comments:

  1. "After fighting the corporate world, you just want to relax and unwind. Not have to compete with 15 year olds who have nothing better to do."

    EXACTLY! As a 33 year old man this is exactly why the only time I turn on my Xbox 360 is to stream netflix. I just can't deal with the hassle on "on-line" gaming anymore so I just quit gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at too. There isn't any point in upgrading consoles. I know the hardware makers lose money on these anyway. But, it's a feedback loop.

    Used to be I couldn't wait for certain games to come out. For an adult person with responsibilities - hanging out with teenagers online isn't fun. It's weird. Just let us play the games without that.

    ReplyDelete