Friday, September 25, 2009

People have such short memories.

Today apparently, I went completely insane and called to have some flood insurance quoted on my rental property. Say anything to people in California about flood insurance and they will roll their eyes. I swear to you - my agent actually at one point said "oooohkay".

Normally that is maybe what I would have done too. There are a lot of people back East right now who are under water in their homes, and mortgages. And quite frankly it freaked me out.

It used to be that people could get loans easily, or they had equity. None of those things are true right now. And BTW, my rental almost flooded Jan of 08. There was water coming out of the manholes downtown. Here. In my pictures you can see a few homes aren't really that far from having water at their foundations. My agents office is honestly 10 blocks from some of these pictures. My rental is about 3 blocks.

It wasn't even a wet year, just a freak storm. Hell even the old house I lived in came close to flooding every now and then. It was on the other side of town. The grade of the properties around here are all helter skelter.

I don't know how long the administration is going to keep killing the economy. I don't want to spend any reserves on damage. Normally with a little flooding most people would just pay out of pocket. I don't think that is going to be an option this year for a lot of people.

Thankfully enough, since the insurance companies think meteors will hit before flooding. Insurance is really cheap. Earthquake insurance though. That will cost you a bundle. Not to mention the 40-50 grand detectable.

No comments:

Post a Comment