Friday, April 08, 2016

Today I fell back in love with Silicon Valley.

It's not that I ever fell completely out of love. I just think we were having a rocky marriage the last eight years.

To be honest, I wasn't sure we were going to come out the other side of this administration. And I've been more jaded than your average jaded Silicon Valley-er. I grew up here. We used to put out less vaporware.

But driving around today just made me feel like when this economy gets going the valley is just going to fly. They are knocking down old stuff, and it really feels like the Valley is being reborn. From one end of the peninsula, to the east bay. It's been happening for probably two years now. It just finally feels like we are shedding enough of the stale old companies, that it almost feels like the old Silicon Valley. Scrappy and full of promise. And all the companies springing up to support cars, and machine learning, it just a relief.

Facebook doesn't produce anything. Well, outside of Oculus. Cars are really starting to transform the valley in all sorts of ways. It just feels like we are going to start building real things again and it can't come a moment too soon for me. But at least I think we will get there in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment