Friday, April 29, 2016

Silicon Valley works in mysterious ways.

Today I was at another one of those VR conferences because I'm pretty much obsessed with trying to find out when the graphics will be good enough so you don't see the screen door effect. I'm not sure anyone really knows, to be honest. Some people said it didn't bother them at all. But I bet it will eventually. I mean, everyone wants better graphics. Right? After you get past the "amazing" stage, you start picking it apart.

Anyway, I walked into that show and saw I guy I recognized from the long, long ago, at a booth. Right away I had to text Mr S. that this guy was there. You remember I said Mr S. worked on a VR project early in his career? Well, we all worked there. Though I didn't work on that project. I was only the company sysadmin. It was a very small start up.

Every once in a while Mr S. runs into one of them, but this is the first time I have. And I've been to a million of these shows. For a while I thought the new crew were just kinda of ripping it off, but maybe they are building on top of the stuff that didn't work instead. It was nice to see some of the old team still plugging away at it. Usually people migrate to other specialties. I mean, VR has only recently has another run.

It really makes me smile how small world the Valley is sometimes. It's really why I keep my blog so anonymized.

Anyway -I tried a ton of the headsets today. Even waiting 45 mins to try Oculus again. 45 minutes!  Some of the games were pretty fun. They all have the screen door though. It will be interesting to see how much improvement they can make. All failures are building blocks in Silicon Valley.


No comments:

Post a Comment