Thursday, July 30, 2015

I predict Google will be sued over their Nest smoke alarms.

I want to start out saying that we bought our Nest smoke alarms because my family was in a fire. I lost my cousin in the accident. I happened to be sleeping away with my boyfriend that night and came back in the morning to a team of fire trucks in front of my house. So, as you can imagine - I have some super big issues with fire.

The Nest smoke alarm had the feature that it told you which room the smoke was coming from. Which I thought was an extremely valuable feature considering you can die very quickly in a fire. Your house can be fully engulfed in two minutes. It's helpful to know where the fire might be before you go searching or to trying to escape. It also had the wave off feature so that you didn't have to get a ladder to get the thing to stop screaming. This was disabled almost immediately after we bought our first unit. I wasn't really happy about it, but it still had the other features.

Fast forward to this morning and my second false alarm. The first happened at 6 in the morning and I'm barely getting to sleep by 2am, So it had been a long time since anything had been cooked in the house. Since we sleep on the top floor I immediately start trying to smell for smoke. It's an automatic response with the family history and all. The frustrating thing is these alarms all start talking to each other. Even if the other unit doesn't smell smoke. I've read this is because if the one alarm dies, the other will keep you aware the fire is still alive. But when there is no fire it just wakes up the neighbors.

This morning the alarms went off at about 3 in the morning. But it sounded more like it went into test mode. Boing it said. There is smoke in the house. The alarm will sound. It will be loud. Or something to that effect. You are in a full panic when you are awoken from a dead sleep to a fire alarm. And I have to say, now I'm a bit pissed honestly.

What if this happens when it not the middle of the night and I'm not home. First I'm sure I will get a notifier on my phone where I will completely panic that my pet is being burned alive. Good times. Second, will my neighbors freak out and try to have the fire department break into my house? I don't know.

All I know is that I bought a product for piece of mind, and now I'm about as anxious about this product as I can get.

There are apparently tons of people with multiple false alarm stories. Here is a video to kinda give you the experience. It's a little annoying at the end because he could have just gotten a screw driver and taken the batteries out. But when your alarms (all of them!) are going off - you are just in a panic really. They should have made the batteries easier to get out.


No comments:

Post a Comment