Thursday, January 22, 2015

The doves are turning.

Today I was talking to a guy I know, and I asked him how he felt about the world in the generically probing way I do. I figured he would come back with some economic response, but he didn't. What he did say shocked me a bit. Well, more than a bit. He started talking about terrorism and beheadings.  I thought - oh, you are leading with that? I'd noticed the polls were tilting in the direction that more people were becoming concerned about it, but I didn't really believe it.

Now, to me this was pretty interesting because when President Money Bags got elected - this guy I know - all he could say was at least there wouldn't be a war. It seemed to be a pretty big deal for him. This subject area had pretty been off limits to me because even though I consider myself a conservative, I'm more like a hawkish libertarian. Heavy emphasis on hawkish. Most of the time I'm in no mood for doves. They don't see the world the way I do. They haven't seen the things I've seen. I refuse to turn a blind eye to the world. I don't think something goes away because you ignore it.

So - I gingerly treaded in. But, you were pretty anti war. Right? We hadn't really talked about it in detail, but he's said a few things that made me think this is the way he felt. I clearly have a different point of view and it doesn't do my any good to try and find some middle ground on that. So I always tried to not talk about it.

He replied - well, yeah. Unless there is a good reason. Indicating he thought this was a good reason. This was a huge deviation from the impression I'd gotten before from him before. I mean, he clearly didn't think Iraq was a good reason.

I was for Iraq. I'm generally for turning things to glass when when dictators do such horrible things to people. Though I have to admit I've struggled a bit in the past few years. Iraq for now, was a waste of time and treasure and money. I only hope they got a big enough taste of Westernism that they pull out of this on their own. Probably not, but you never know what the future holds. The world can flip on you like a dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment