Monday, December 01, 2014

That's spooky.

A lot of people are starting to say that gas is going to fall to two bucks a gallon in some states. I should be happy. It is a big savings for the consumer. What isn't to love? I like when people spend money because I like capitalism.

A few years ago someone hit on one of my posts where I'd posted the price of gasoline at the time. I remember when I looked at the post I was was like "when the hell was gas so low"? A buck sixty nine.

It was December 10, 2008. In the summer of 2008 gasoline was well over four bucks gallon. This is what I wrote at the time in the post titled It was the worst of times.

"I couldn't help but reflect on how unimaginable the last 6 months have been. Not that there aren't daily opportunities for this kind of reflection. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined over 4 buck gas. And once that happened - I never thought I would see almost a buck fifty. I just sort of wanted to immortalize it on the blog."

I guarantee you - just because people are saving money on gas does not mean they will spend it. Says the years 2009,2010,2011, and 2012. I don't actually have any idea when gas started rising again. In my head it's been four bucks plus forever. I even thought the picture of the lower gas prices came before four dollar a gallon gas. But it didn't. It came after gas was already well over four bucks.

That has only happened twice in my life. I'm guessing this isn't going to turn out much better.

It's funny what a difference a week makes. Late last week all the oil producers were saying how they were completely fine even though the price was a lot lower. They could still make money. This week people don't seem so confident.

And we have nine days to go before December 10 2014. I doubt it will make it to a buck sixty nine. But at this rate - who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment