Tuesday, January 21, 2014

No one saw this coming. NO ONE.

"PALO ALTO, Calif. (AP) — An increasing number of electric-vehicle driving employees at Silicon Valley companies are finding it hard to access car-charging stations at work, creating incidents of "charge rage" among drivers. " Read - Silicon Valley Doesn't Have Enough Electric Vehicle-Charging Stations, And Drivers Are Freaking Out.

If you've read this blog for any length of time you'll know I've been a big whinger of electric vehicles. It's not that I mind the vehicles if I'm not subsidizing them. I just don't understand understand the whole charging process.

Right now it takes 5 minutes to fill up your gas tank. Tops. So, I really don't understand a business model where it takes four hours to charge a car. I know it takes at least this long because while I was at Ikea this weekend they tell you on the wall there is a four for hour max on their chargers. I don't want to know the person who spends 4 hours in Ikea. Even if they have to send a search party in there for you - I'm sure it takes less time than four hours to walk the whole store. To be sure, it's better than it used to be, and in the future I expect this to improve even more.

Still, I found a deep sense of entertainment when I read that people were unplugging other vehicles so they would charge their own. It's because in early 2009 I had this very conversation with Mr S. in regard to the chargers where he worked. At the time they were one of the first companies I saw who had installed them. You have to read the interchange we had with each other in Living off the companies teet - because I just find it really funny now. Also read Safety first because I'm going to laugh for a week when someone tries to sue the first charging station company after they have tripped and fallen on one of the cords. It is a litigious world after all. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment