Friday, March 22, 2013

More from the GTC Emerging Technologies Summit.



Of course this 3D printer caught my eye while I was at the icr3ate booth. The insides looked like they came straight out of a qu-bd system. After I started talking to the guy about it - he asked me if I knew what open source was. This made all the pieces fit into place.

There has been a lot of talk about open source in last year or two. I didn't really pay attention to it because back in "the day" open source just meant free. Even though I link to Openalia in the sidebar, it just wasn't registering to me that under the open source umbrella, they were trying to create a standard. Rather than just the ability to snarf stuff for free.

Now I believe they are using it develop a platform standard when it comes to 3D printers. So, this leapfrog machine was just basically a re-skined qu-bd type system.

I've been waiting to purchase a 3D printer because the technology is moving so lightening fast. Every time I turn around a new system pops up.



No comments:

Post a Comment