Friday, March 02, 2012

It isn't a political thing.



You've probably all have heard by now about the Volt line being idled for 5 weeks.

For as much as I bitch about alternative energy stuff - I don't mind the cars. I mean, I don't get it. Transferring the pain of oil prices onto an electrical grid that is only "mostly" reliable. Made more unreliable by adding cars who have to charge for hours. If this economy was healthy and growing, that would become a huge problem.

I also don't believe that more than a niche group will be willing to wait for hours to fill up your car. Which is also why I am absolutely against subsidising them.

Right now you go to the gas station, fill up your car within 5 minutes, and you are on with your life. We used to be a mobile nation. Still, I do think the concept is kind of neat. When I saw these inductive charging pads at CES this year, I kinda went... hmmmm. Maybe.

But then, maybe I was biased because it had a lighted circle like an Xbox - and I can become a real tard when that happens.

I do find it interesting that it's been a couple of months since CES, and I didn't see anyone blog about these things.

A couple of days ago Mr S. turned to me and said "some days I like to pretend there are two Elon Musks". I turned to him in my "oh, let's hear this" kind of way.

He says - on one hand there is the good Elon Musk who is almost a science fiction hero who builds rockets. And on the other, there is the douchey Elon Musk who sucks up taxpayer dollars for cars that no one wants.

I can't say I disagree. Those Tesla's were mildy interesting before the government got involved. They seemed a little cheaply built. But, that is all better now. Thanks to you taxpayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment