Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I have one word - Cubify.



If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you will know that 3D printing is a technology I have been watching for a really long time.

I first saw it at RoboNexus in 2005. Then again in the World of Next Tuesday post in 2006. Maker Faire 2011, 3D printing had made great leaps. Then most recently in the dashboard of that Ultima kit car.

So when I saw the Cubify booth at CES, I thought I'd die. I continue to believe 3D printing will be one of the most disruptive technologies of our time. The technology has gone from very simple objects, to being able to print multi color simple toys.

The price is now to a point that it's affordable for average consumers. I believe every household will eventually own a 3D printer.

When I first starting watching it, these printers were 40 grand. The Cubify machine was apparently only 1200.00 bucks. I had to ask the guy a few times because I thought he said 12 grand. The price has been halving every year - so 12 grand didn't seem that out of range. 1200 bucks though is very affordable.











3 comments:

  1. Great photos and well deserved enthusiasm! Thanks!

    I've linked to this article from CubifyFans.blogspot.com

    That ought to tell you that we are of the same mind when it comes to how important this product is going to be for the future of personal 3D printing. We've both waited a long time for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking that if they find a way to do that with food, like chocolates, marzipan, etc., that would be way cool. They you could actually eat the couple on top of the wedding cake. How cool would THAT be?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom Meeks - thank you. It would be nice if you sourced the photo.

    Steve - Interesting concept. Especially if you could make elaborate hollow designs that you inject with other stuff. I will have to think about that more.

    ReplyDelete