Thursday, September 09, 2010

Packrat via Coercion.

The past couple of days I've been in a document shredding binge the likes that would make any Enron executive proud. I've probably filled my shredder 8 times over. Having to pack the contents into a dense - I can't pack anything more in there - consistency. The worms in the compost bin will be happy.

I am not proud to be a paper pack rat. I don't even want to be. Usually the government forces me to be. I once had a lien put on me by the feds, something like 6 years after I filed my tax returns. I was super lucky I still had the documents to prove it was an error. It still took me about 6 months to get it off my record.

The feds released it pretty much right away. But, then I had to get if off my credit. Which took much longer.

And so... a pack rat was born. With reasonable regularity I have to dig back through the layers of my life to find supporting documents for something.

Like now. I want to get my fireplace door fixed. It occurred to me a few days ago, that if I don't do it this year - these people might not even be in business come next year. A new urgency set in.

So, I set to looking through all my credit card statements to find the proof that I made a purchase through them. Three years ago. Of course, I'm not structured enough to file these things away. I put them in a box. Which is why I had to go through so much paperwork to find the right statement.

The bad news is it took me two days of shredding. The good news - there was a lot of old paperwork that I needed to get rid of.

And, if you are wondering - I'm not a general pack rat. But, the paperwork definitely gets a little overwhelming sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment