Saturday, March 28, 2009

Just like old times.

Readers. I don't know what is going to go on in the economy. I can only tell you what I see on the ground in the California Bay Area. This is what I saw today.

The most miserable car show on the face of the planet. I have to tell you - I go to these things every couple of months. One could wonder, how many new things am I going to see? Yeah, I wonder that too. But, I go to see how the economy is faring. It really is a good indicator, because it's exactly the same car show. Yet, the crowds change.

This place was so packed today - I was almost on nuclear before we even got into the venue. As soon as we got off the freeway, I knew it was going to be a trying day. It took us about 20 minutes to get 6 blocks. Oh yeah. Not joking. It's been a long, long time, since I've seen things so packed.

Plus, it was particularly funny, because - isn't this the day people are suppose to turn off all their lights and love mother earth? I kind of enjoyed all these old gas guzzling cars burning up the ozone. Plus, I just love the smell of old time-y gas. Whatever.

Not only was the place completely packed. The people were the most annoying on the planet. I could not believe the sheer concentration of Travis Barker wannabees. And Joel Madden knock-offs. I didn't think they were influencing the youth that severely. But, apparently they are. And the Bubba's. Oh my gawd the bubbas. There were the "woooo" bubbas. The prison bubbas. I'm not even joking. Pictures forthcoming. But, I need to take a shower first due to all the smokers.

Then the completely clueless bubbas. Which I wanted to punch so hard. These are the guys who I'm not sure have ever seen a camera other than a point and click, and thus have no understanding of staying out of your way. Or conversely are egocentric and want to be in your way so they can get into your shot.

Take for example this one iphone bubba. I was at my knees trying to get a shot, and this guy walked right up to me and stood right in front of me. Blocking my shot. Which made me say loudly "are you kidding me"! His buddy said something to the guy, and he did apologize - but by this time I'd already had enough of these sorts of bubbas.

I mean, I'd have a shot lined up, and someone would leisurely stroll into my shot. Then when I'd wait for them to move out of my way, they'd look at me or through me, and stay in my shot for sometimes a few minutes. Mr S. always says I should say something to them. But, I'd rather be passive aggressive and bitch about it here.

Then the place ran out of water. I walked the second half feeling like I might die. And also wanting the vendors to maybe have one isle open just for people who want drinks. The lines were insane.

As we were getting back to the house Mr S. and I had the following conversation.

Me - Man, I really hate those crowds. But it's good to see the economy returning to normal. I don't care who is spending money. Bubbas or rich people. I'm just glad they are.

Mr S. - Well, it's pretty hopeful that the bubbas are spending money. Those are the guys who have manufacturing jobs, and warehouse jobs. Construction, trucking.

And I thought - OMG. He's right. That clearly is what the demo was this time. He always says the most simple amazing stuff.

I'll get pictures out sometime later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment