Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Are T.V.'s a thing of the past?

For some reason, by the end of the day in Vegas - Mr S. and I wind up cab sharing. Sure, the obvious reason is the line gets 3 miles deep. But, by the end of the day I'm pretty tired and surely. I've mentally punched a million people in the necks. Most notably those people who drag their luggage around to a trade show. Punch in the neck.


In the cab line there always seems to be someone willing to walk up and say "look, I've got a car waiting right there - it costs a little more. But if we share - it will work out about the same". It rarely does.

Normally this is something I would be disinterested in. But, at that point my resistance is low, and I just want to get out of the line. Anyway, I'm making a short story long.

Oddly, the cab sharing people turn out to be pretty interesting. This year it was a couple from San Diego who's business was those headsets drive through restaurants use. Which doesn't seen interesting on the surface. But, it kinda was. They said most people don't realize it, but those franchises can do about 4 million in business. And, they collect a lot of data on what people are buying. So when you go through a drive through, your habits are being put into a database somewhere.

The other thing they said, which I found completely interesting was - in their area local news was dying. The local news was already struggling, but after they lost ad dollars - they just don't come on anymore. They said they'd lost 2 local news programs recently.

Now, we can download almost anything these days. But, do you download local news? And if we are just downloading stuff. Why even own a TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment