Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Spite fences make good neighbors.

There are many times I think I need to get some new blood into my crew. Usually when one of the guys go MIA. Like my fence guy. When I couldn't find him, I found myself going through the ten stages of grief.

When he turned up - I couldn't believe how happy I was.

After all.. how was I going to explain to a new fence guy that I needed a spite fence at one place, and all these conditional quotes for this place? My current guy understands my social ticks. Which always involves neighbors.

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out how to get my neighbor to pay something of a fair market value. But, I'm pretty sure we all know that I'm probably going to have to pay for this myself. Which is completely not right. I work just as hard for my money as he does. I'm not independently wealthy. I work my ass off like everyone else. If I pay though - I'm going to make it taller.

The other issue I'm having with my neighbors is they seem to not understand the concept of privacy. Hence the taller fence. I sort of think if you are going to be up on a ladder and can see into my backyard - it is a courtesy to let me know. I understand I'm the only person on earth who feels this way.

But, what annoys me even more that they think I should talk with them. Like this weekend - I'm in the backyard doing stuff, and up pops the neighbor to the back. He's been doing this a lot this year. So I immediately start giving off the "do whatever you are doing quick, and quit looking in my backyard vibe". But - no. He waits for me to greet him. Which I don't. Then he tries to greet me. Which met with limited success.

A couple of my neighbors do this. At first it didn't bother me. But now - it totally bothers me. In the front... all bets are off. People always wanting to chat with me, and I oblige. But in the back - I don't fucking want to see you. I don't want to know you exist. And I certainly don't want to have a conversation with you over the fence. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment