Friday, May 16, 2008

Diaries of a blowfish.

Last week we had to deal with the Baby Saffron and GI stasis. She came through that okay. This week we are dealing with Paisley's allergies again. Yesterday, she was super blown up. She pretty much had a ball sack on her chin.

Allergies have been a big theme this week. One of my girlfriends called to say her baby had become so allergic to food - she could finally loose all that weight she wanted to. Apparently, the baby is so allergic now - they can't eat certain foods and touch the baby without an incident. Epi pen and all. It apparently is a life threatening thing. How messed up is that?

I have to admit, when I started hearing about gluten allergies years ago - I thought it was just a bunch of hippy bullshit. You know.. like not immunizing your kids because there was some chance they would get autism.

When I started hearing about peanut allergies, I thought it was just a bunch of over-reactive mothers. But.. I guess I'm wrong about this whole allergy thing.

I still have a hard time understanding why such severe allergy reactions seem to be more common these days.

Maybe it is just reverse evolution.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be with blogs and the internet that more of that stuff gets out now.

    I think that since almost everyone buys their "raw" ingredients from the grocery store which carries products from large manufacturers (General Mills, Proctor & Gamble, Pillsbury, etc) under many different names. And even small manufacturers have a wide distribution network. So folks from widely varying locations are all getting food from basically the same source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are both good points. I think you probably do hear about stuff more because of the networks.

    I guess maybe it could also be more common because we have more access to foods that we might not have 20 years ago.

    So, maybe we were allergic to those things all along, and we just didn't know because we didn't have access.

    I know growing up poor, you didn't care if gluten made you swell up. You were just happy to have bread.

    ReplyDelete