Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Not - Global Warming?

I don't know about you - but I'm a weather junky.

In California this year, it's been sort of like the super bowl for people like me. Drought, Santa Anna winds. It's been pretty extreme.

So you know when hurricane force winds hit Washington this week - it got my attention.

Earlier in the month when the Santa Ana winds hit Southern California Mr S. and I were having a discussion about them. He was pretty amazed at the wind speeds, and said he'd never heard anything like it in California before.

Oddly, sometimes I run across interesting tidbits - and had recalled an event in 1962 called the Columbus Day storm. I told him what I'd read about it. Which basically is - the remnants of Typhoon Freda went extra tropical and had hit somewhere up north. It had pretty much destroyed a town because the winds were so severe. A very rare event. I then promptly went on with life.

At the time it was just an interesting tidbit, and it seemed like one of those once in a lifetime events. As a matter of a fact - it was such a remote memory, it took me the better part of an hour to plug in the right keywords to find the story again.

If I do say so myself - it's pretty interesting. The two storms have a lot of similarities.

This is from Typhoon Freda. Compliments of www.islandnet.com. You can also read about the story there.



This is the satellite loop from the Storm this week compliments of www.blog.oregonlive.com. Who also has some fantastic photos of the event.



It will be interesting to see what they say about the 2007 storm after they get done analysing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment