Monday, April 09, 2007

A crush on glass.

I never thought I would say it - but - I'm going to put up glass tile again.

I don't know what it is.. but I just can't keep away from it. So when I ran across these - I had to buy them.



You see - glass tile is easily the most complicated product on the face of the earth. And if you have never installed this stuff before there are all sorts of things you don't find out until you are in the project. This is why it took my husband and I - 10 months to do this shower. Thats right. 10 months. It was the most painful project ever.



As a matter of a fact - from planning to completion - was almost a year and a half. My first post about it.

The main issues? Light refraction as you can see in this photo.



Also a problem - depth of color. Unlike normal tile, glass tile has depth quality that you have to take into account. This makes grout color really complicated. It sort of makes the color bleed into the glass tile.

We thought we would just go with white - like we saw at the home improvement stores, but it looked horrible. Like paste. Eventually we wound up mixing our own color, but it took 17 tries to get the color match correct.

Hopefully this time it will go better. At least those bubble tiles never got stuck in my head and made me want to put them up.

Other tile posts here.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Comments back up!
    I actually wanted to direct you to Kenneth in the (212) on Easter.
    http://kennethinthe212.blogspot.com/2007/04/happy-easter.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Ladies - got too busy to comment yesterday.

    Thank you E-HR! I get nervous about my project pictures. We have sort of a non-traditional style. But glass seems pretty popular - so hopefully my post will be somewhat helpful to someone.

    MDG- Aw.. now thats not right - but pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete