Thursday, January 25, 2007

How to make your happy customers into pissed off ones - in two easy steps.

Well - the nice thing about being in a funk is that I question how reasonable I am being when it comes to being pissed off at companies. So...they get a little extra slack. But I'm feeling better now, and I'm sick of paying for shit I can't use.

The thing is.. I can be so easily placated. Conversely I can also be so easily pissed off. Way back here I was gushing about our new laser keyboard. Here - I'll even show you a picture of it again - because it was pretty cool. Emphasis - was.



After we played with it for a few days the battery started running dead. Normal.. so we plugged it into the charger. The keyboard failed to charge. The thing is.. the charger came with a US adapter dongle, and we noticed with had a very sloppy connection. We couldn't get a connection no matter what we did - so I mailed the company telling them the power adapter was failing to charge the keyboard. This is the reply I got:

"Thank you for your purchase.

Sometimes the US adapter supplied with the charger is a bit loose, and there is a need to “wiggle” a bit with the charger for a perfect fit. Please try that, and if it still doesn’t work, I can offer you one of the following options:

We can send you another adapter (but it can take some time to arrive)
You can try to purchase one at an electric shop near you and if this option solves the problem we will refund your credit card for the amount (shouldn’t cost more than $4).

Please update me on how you wish to proceed.
"

I wasn't crazy about the response.. but at this point I figure it is more of a hassle to deal with "waiting some time" for a replacement. And chances are I'd be less pissed off if we just picked one up the next time we were electronics shopping. See - I try to be a reasonable person.

Well, last week I remembered that I had also purchased a blue-tooth dongle that was not shipped when the keyboard arrived. At the time - they said to expedite the order on the keyboard they would have to ship the dongle later. I was fine with that. It was the holidays after all.

After realizing I placed the order for the keyboard on the 4th of Dec I became irritated. What is that? 6 weeks? So - I felt obligated to send them this email:

"I once was a happy customer. I bought one of your keyboards over Christmas. The power adapter was DOA. That still did not make me unhappy even though it seemed to me that the US would be a major market for your product and it should have been simple enough to mail your customers a US power supply - since you have an office in Sunnyvale Ca. At least, that is what your rep at CES said. Most especially since your company feels it should only cost 4 dollars to supply it. But now after waiting over a month for the blue-tooth dongle I ordered and paid for combined with the power supply issue- I am not as happy of a customer. Please let me know the status of the dongle - and if you do send one - include a new power supply.

Thank You.
"

I really do wish I didn't have to bitch about companies.. but I guess that is just not a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment